On 21 November 1948, most houses in Seonheul-ri were burnt down during a severe crackdown. At that time, a nettle tree in the village was also burnt. It was thought that the tree was completely burnt but leaves were still budding on the tree. Although half of the tree is dead, the other half is still growing and a seed from another tree (amur maple tree) sprouted next to it and they have grown together for decades.
Source: Memorial Committee for the 70th anniversary of the Jeju April 3rd Uprising and Massacre <Explore the Historical Sites of the April 3rd Uprising and Massacre>
- categoryArea Jeju-si, East Side
- gps_fixedLatitude 33.51083333
- gps_fixedLongitude 126.70725
- pin_dropAddress 1136-2 Seonheul-ri, Jocheon-eup, Jeju-si
- directions_walkDirections Near Seonheul-ri Community Hall